Our Ethos and Values
At St. Michael’s CE Junior School, all staff are committed in their belief that children should:
- become independent learners who understand where they are in their learning journey.
- be happy at school and develop emotional resilience.
- have aspirational attitudes towards their learning and take a pride in their learning environment and the resources it provides.
- become risk-takers and have a willingness to learn from their mistakes.
- become problem-solvers who persevere in their thinking.
- have a desire to explore all aspects of the world we live in.
Whole School Values
- We are inclusive and believe in the importance of addressing the needs of each child holistically.
- We plan exciting, experiential learning which is innovative and adaptive to changing contexts.
- We provide pastoral care which always goes the `extra mile’ so that our children feel safe, valued and cherished.
Within our school we truly believe in supporting the learning of every individual within a safe, stimulating and inclusive community which has Christian values and ethos. We believe that everyone deserves to be happy, valued and respected.
‘Building Bridges, Opening Doors’
The DfE have recently reinforced the need “to create and enforce a clear and rigorous expectation on all schools to promote the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.”
The Government set out its definition of British values in the 2011 Prevent Strategy, and these values have been reiterated this year (2014). At St. Michael’s these values are reinforced regularly and the link below shows how we achieve this.
We keep an up to date audit of all such teaching and learning opportunities.